Time to stuff your face with some anti-inflammatory indulgence. We always love a scrumptious recipe that hits all targets: paleo, gluten and dairy free, vegan, and even AIP.
This recipe was adopted from our friend at Unbound Wellness.
For the apple pie filling:
- 3 cups pink lady apples; chopped
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar (or granulated monk fruit)
- 2 tsp arrowroot starch
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Juice of 1/2 a lemon
For the crust:
- 1 1/4 cup of tigernut flour
- 1/4 cup of tapioca starch
- 2 tbsp maple syrup (or Lakanto monkfruit syrup)
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar (or granulated monk fruit(
- 1/3 cup + 2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 cup + 1 tbsp coconut butter
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
For the optional caramel sauce:
- 1/2 cup coconut cream
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
For the apple pie bars:
- Preheat the oven to 350 F and line a 9×9″ baking pan with parchment paper
- Using a saucepan, combine the apple filling ingredients and set over medium heat. Stir to combine and simmer for 5-8 minutes (stirring often) or until the apples soften. Set aside.
- For the crust, combine the dry ingredients and mix until well incorporated. Stir in the wet ingredients and stir until the dough is fully combined.
- Using the square baking sheet, flatten the majority of the crust onto the bottom of the pan until it’s evenly thin. You’ll save about 3 tbsp of the crust dough for the topping.
- Par-bake the crust in the oven for 8 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- Layer the apple filling on top of the crust and evenly distribute. Crumble the remainder of the crust topping over the apples and slightly flatten it.
- Bake the bars in the oven for another 25-30 minutes or until the crust topping is golden brown. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for about 5 minutes before carefully removing from the pan. Allow to cool further and slice into 9 bars. Top with optional caramel sauce and compliant ice cream if desired.
For the optional caramel sauce
- Combine the coconut cream, sugar, and salt in a saucepan over medium heat and stir to combine.
- Bring to a low boil, and reduce to a low simmer, stirring often.
- Simmer for about 10 minutes, or until the caramel is reduced and browned.