Functional Medicine Evaluation and Treatment
What is functional medicine?
Functional medicine in Austin is a model of healthcare that evaluates each person as an individual instead of a statistic. Functional medicine practitioners dive deeper into the root cause of medical problems. The evaluation starts from ground up, and it includes your medical history before you were conceived. Because this practice involves a system-oriented approach, it engages the patient and practitioner in a therapeutic partnership. Instead of a disease-centered approach, functional medicine assesses the whole person instead of an isolated set of symptoms.
Functional medicine practitioners spend ample time with their patients. So they listen to their patient’s history and symptoms while judging the interactions of genetic, environmental, and lifestyle factors that may be influencing your short or long-term health. Chronic conditions are complex, and they require special attention to every detail. So by utilizing functional medicine, we foster the unique expression of health and vitality for each person.
Why do I need functional medicine?
- Because your healthcare system is failing you. You have seen multiple physicians, and each visit offers limited utility towards the improvement of your condition. You are rushed in and out of an office, and the details of your medical care are rarely reviewed.
- Because you suffer from a complex, chronic medical condition that cannot be resolved with a 10 minute visit and a new prescription. Heart disease, diabetes, cancer, auto-immune disorders, and mental illness are complicated conditions that require a holistic approach.
- An acute care model of a “pill for every ill” is not working for you. The acute care approach lacks the proper tools and methodology to help you progress passed illness into wellness.
- Because you do not feel that your physicians are adequately trained to assess the underlying cause of your condition. You would rather not take immunosuppressants to control your Inflammatory Bowel Disease (Ulcerative Colitis and Crohn’s) symptoms. You would rather use aggressive dietary changes, natural herbs, and customized supplement regimens to improve symptoms and control disease.
- Because you feel that your previous practitioners have placed very little emphasis on nutrition and food as medicine.
How is functional medicine different from traditional medicine?
Patient-Centered: Your care is focused around you as an individual. Functional medicine assesses all factors of your health, and integrates it into a treatment plan. All systems are evaluated, including:
- Physical, Emotional, and Social Stress
- Hormonal balance
- Genetics / Family History
- Vitamin / Nutritional Status
- Chemical and Toxic Exposures
- Energy Production / Expenditure
- Dietary Intake
- Sleep Hygiene
- Immune Strength
- Bowel and Gut Health
- Physical Exertion / Exercise
When your entire history has been evaluated from pre-conception, birth, childhood, adolescence, and adulthood, your functional medicine practitioners will develop a plan that integrates a food plan, movement, stress reduction, hormonal revival, vitamins, supplements, sleep rehabilitation, gut restoration, and detoxification. At our functional medicine visits, your care will always involve our holistic and functional medicine nutritionist who utilizes foods, digestive support, probiotics, and other supplements to facilitate healing.
Does your functional medicine practitioner utilize prescriptions?
Although functional medicine practitioners prefer to use natural remedies whenever possible, prescriptions are often needed to begin the healing process, improve symptoms in order to facilitate the healing process, or overcome genetic problems. For instance, sleep is critical for recovery and improvement of chronic medical conditions. If a patient is unable to sleep naturally or with herbal supplements like Valerian root, we will utilize the appropriate sleeping medications.